Appeal for information
Avon and Somerset Police has issued a new appeal for information relating to the murder of 25-year-old Melanie Hall, whose remains were found in 2009.
Melanie, who lived in Wiltshire and was a clerical worker at the Royal United Hospital in Bath, was last seen at 1.10am on Sunday 9 June, 1996, sitting on a stool at the edge of the dancefloor in Cadillacs nightclub (now Walcot House) in Walcot Street, Bath, following a night out with friends.
This remains the last confirmed sighting of Melanie alive. Her remains were found next to the junction 14 northbound slipway of the M5 (Thornbury) by a workman on 5 October 2009.
Can you help the investigation team?
- Do you know the man in the E-fit we’ve re-released (see photo gallery)? He’s described as white, in his mid to late 20s, 5ft 10ins, of medium build, with dark brown hair, dark brown eyes, bushy eyebrows and clean shaven. He was wearing black trousers, black shoes and a brown silk shirt. It’s possible he had a gold hooped earring in his right ear and wore a flashy gold watch.
- We have a sighting of a woman arguing with a man in Old Orchard (around the corner from the nightclub’s entrance) between 1.45am and 2am – we haven’t ruled out the fact this could have been Melanie – so if this was you, or you have any further information, we’d like to hear from you.
- Were you involved in the aftermath of this crime in any way? Maybe you assisted with the deposition of Melanie’s body but were not involved in the murder. We want to hear from you now.
- Were you in Cadillacs nightclub that night? It was the evening where England drew 1-1 with Switzerland in the opening game of the football Euro 96 Championships? If you were there and haven’t spoken to police, please contact us.
- Did you see any suspicious activity or a vehicle parked on the northbound J14 slip road of the M5 at Thornbury in the early hours of Sunday 9 June 1996, or the days immediately afterwards?
- Are you concerned about the change in behaviour of a friend or relative, or anyone showing a particular interest in this inquiry?
- Do you have information on where Melanie’s clothing or belongings may be? They’ve never been found. They include a pale blue silk dress with a round neck, black suede mule shoes with straps across the front and an open toe, size 5 or 6, a cream single-breasted, long-sleeved jacket and a black satchel-type handbag.
- In Melanie’s handbag were cosmetics and a Midland cheque book and bank card. Also missing are items of jewellery including a Next watch with expanding bracelet and silver drop earrings. Where are these items? Have you ever seen them?